Monday, December 17, 2012

Brandon Brains - The End is Weird interview

     Brandon Brains of Nashville, TN is a modern day renaissance man. College student, fiance, use to be in the navy, ex bouncer, all while still being a prolific relatively new face in the "DIY hip hop community"(as lame and pretentious as using the word community sounds). In a little less than a week his new release 'The End is Weird' drops. Get familiar, get weird, get with it.

TheThrowAwayDays: Brandon Brains, are you still a bouncer at a strip club, what were the requirements to get this job? Did you have to arm wrestle a sexual offender while naked women were dancing without getting a boner?
Brandon Brains:  No, I quit that job to focus on school and music.  Most gig opportunities are on weekends and I worked EVERY weekend.  However, I got the job from a friend of a friend putting in a good word for me. I never arm wrestled anybody there and after a while of seeing it all the time, boners don't come to you at work.

T-TAD: What is the craziest thing you ever saw at your job?
BB: My first night on the job, there was a dude who got wasted, pulled out his dick and then passed out onto the floor.  We are pretty sure he thought he was in the bathroom, but you'd be surprised the amount of dudes that I had to throw out for whipping out there junk in hopes of getting laid during lapdances.
T-TAD: You ever think about having some of the girls strip to your songs? Or maybe even doing it yourself? It would probably get more publicity than this interview, HA!
BB: Funny enough, the friend who got me the job is the DJ there, so my stuff got played a lot.  It's a weird feeling watching a woman get naked to songs you wrote about strange times in your life.

T-TAD: Before you were a bouncer(and perhaps even before you were a rapper) you were in the service, what was that like and has it influenced your music at all?
BB: As much as I'd like to deny it, my time in the navy really did influence my music.  Maybe not so much the service itself, but my personal life during that time and the effect being in the navy had on that.

T-TAD: On your last release 'Ugly and Impatient" you had a feature by  a some what big name artist, but when I talked to you a while ago in Pittsburgh you said he wouldn't plug the collab, because "it was all about image." Do you care to elaborate on that?
BB:  I've never really understood the logic behind that.  It was a dick move on his part, but whatever, we live, learn, and die.  Why continue to care about what assholes won't do to help us?

T-TAD:Has that experience changed how you work and music and with who? I see you have a lot of collabs on your upcoming release 'The End is Weird'.
BB: 10 of the 13 tracks have features on this mix tape, so that last experience didn't shy me away from working with people.  If anything, it taught me to work more with friends who will support me, without being paid.  Maybe I'm biased because they're my friends, but some of the artists on here are people I'm a big fan of their music (even if we weren't friends).

T-TAD: You've been promoting this new release pretty hard, what are you plans for it? Are you going to tour it?
BB: Well, I won't be touring this mixtape super hard due to my schedule, but I will be doing some shows to support it.  Aside from that, the next project is in the works and that looks to be promising in the opportunities it could provide.  I'm just taking it one day at a time though and focusing on making a name off of 'The End Is Weird' for now.  Hell, the CD has been playing in my car nonstop since we finished it.  I can't wait to see what the fans think.

T-TAD: You did the Hollow Grammar tour with B. Done(of Virginia I think), how did you two meet?
BB:  He is originally from VA, but currently resides in North Carolina.  Funny enough, I was introduced to B.Done on Instagram about a year ago when I was working with Ced Hughes on getting beats together for 'Ugly & Impatient'.  Ced told me I needed to follow him because he was a fellow hip hop artist who was also into comics and action figures, like myself.  The rest is history.
 T-TAD: What are some good stories from the road you guys got?
BB: We fell asleep in the train station parking lot with my headlights on in New Jersey.  The cops came to the window thinking we'd died.  Aside from that, no crazy stories.  Just met a lot of interesting people and got a crash course in what to do and not do when on tour.

T-TAD: What are you plans after 'The End is Weird' both with rap and the rest of your life. Aren't you married and going to school too? You're like the renaissance man.
BB: I am getting married in the fall, but not married yet.  I am going to school for advertising, so that helps me more than it hurts me with my music.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm working on the next project, but it will have a different feel due to being a live band set up as opposed to the sampled beats I use now.  I can't wait to see what happens from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment