Wednesday, March 12, 2014

interview with GDP as seen in TheThrowAwayDays issue #2

In most publications it would be pretty uncouth to tell the reader this, but considering I'm printing less than 100 copies of this issue and I don't give a fuck about being PC or keeping it posi for the kiddies I'll let you know that GDP ate some mushrooms right before this interview. Another reason some "journalists" might not inform the reader that is because it could be damaging to the artists reputation, but if you're reading this chances are you already know GDP has dabbled in his fair share of recreational drugs. I don't think the drugs affected the answers, although we did occasionally get off course. But more than likely that was because of me talking like a drunk yinzer.



TTAD: When you were a kid would you rather have been a pro skater or a pro rapper?
GDP: Up to a certain point it was a toss up. And then I probably realized like late middle school, my buddies brother opened up a skate shop called Division East. Which ties into what we were doing if you've been paying attention some shit that we were working with earlier. About then I started meeting some really really good skaters and I realized skateboarding is gonna be something i always did but i accepted that it would be a hobby. just rock with it. I was better at making music, so I thought. So I still think.

It's almost nicer now. Like I know some people, so many friends of mine are trying to get on. And it becomes this fucking chore where like "now I have to get a trick." It just looses it's taste. Music to some degree it's like, now I can't just make the songs. It has to get out there to people. I have to tour on it. Make a stab at paying the bills with it. Where skateboarding we still have the beautiful relationship where it's only fun. When i'm on my skateboard it's no pressure except to enjoy myself. It's good, it's like therapy. In that regard I'm almost glad I chose music. Skateboarding to me is almost more sacred, I haven't had to lean on it like I have with music. There's sort of expectations I have with music where skateboarding is strictly skateboarding.

TTAD: What did you go to college for and are you ever gonna work in that field?
GDP: English, creative writing, and music. And I think it's safe to say yes. Not in a traditional sense, but certainly.

TTAD: Does have a college degree get you a higher guarantee?
GDP: Definitely (laughs) and student loans will also up your guarantees. Take your student loans, try to defer them, and you'll definitely getter a better leg up in the rap field.

TTAD: What is the last real job you ever had? not even like real big boy job, like just a job.
GDP: Yeah, like a joe job. Waiting tables. Like literally I quit when we were moving to the Bronx to record useless eaters. So the last real job I had I dropped that in June of 2010. I've have odd jobs, wild shit like that definitely kept me afloat. Like, that was the last time I literally had a time card. I'm not above that that. I know one day I might have to do that shit again. I'm just striving to not have to, cause I feel like I have more important things to be worrying about. I respect anyone doing that to get by, but try to use that money to get your leg up. So many of my friends are gonna be a bartender forever, not that there is anything wrong with that, but if you have aspirations use that as a stepping stone to go wherever you need to go. No disrespect but it's like I took that money and got my ass to New York to record a record and I've been trying to tread water ever since.

TTAD: Here's a stab at your new record. Who finally taught you how to count bars?
GDP: I've always known, I just don't care. And I still don't. In the future you'll be even more aware of that.

TTAD: Your new stuff is mad depressing, are you pretty much over the braggadocio?
GDP: Hell no. I haven't even tipped the ice berg of my braggadocio this is just like another record I wanted to make. I'll get away from the braggadocio again. You know what I mean. I just wanna be able to write whatever. I'm like an octopus, More than that though. Every tentacle being another octopus.

TTAD: With how depressing your last record was do you ever feel like through all your touring shit you were just running from something? Instead of you graduated from college and were like, "now I'm a rapper."
GDP: The answer is yes. I had been trying to be a rapper. But like it just came to a point where things were shaky in my life, pretty much the whole time I was in college every weekend I was outta town playing shows.

My parents are fucking cool. They really scrimped and scrapped their whole lives to save enough to put me through college. When I was 17 and said I didn't wanna go to college. They weren't mad but they were heart broken. You know what I mean? They weren't trying to guilt trip me or anything they were just legitimately upset. I had never seen my dad cry before. At his fathers funeral and when I told him I didn't wanna go to college. I was just like ok what are they asking me to do, give it a shot, and then it was just like whatever. I just saw the shit through. I got out and start touring and going hard I'm like, "oh wait, maybe no one gives a fuck, maybe the whole time i was in college i could have actually gotten an education instead of worrying about being a rapper and putting all my eggs in this basket." Around then in my love life things started falling apart. Holla was actually super cathartic for me. It's not depressing, it's the least depressing thing I've ever done. Its like my next lease on life. And when #$ (Hash Money) comes out in a  few months, you'll see Holla is like half a bridge so to speak. You'll see the whole picture when the #$ (Hash Money) record come out.

The Wrong Address: You were thinking about stopping rapping before, right?
GDP: Yeah, when we (GDP & The Wrong Address) started hanging out I was over rapping. When Useless Eaters came out I cancelled a Europe tour I cancelled like so many fucking shows. My girl and I were breaking up. I was just like I've put everything in my life to put GDP in front of my personal life and for what? I'm 23 years old and I'm barely getting by and I've just put all this negative energy out there in the world. There's music videos of me fucking girls and shooting cops. And what has it done but like fuck up everything I actually cared about as a person. Like where does this lead me. Like I'll google my name now let me try to get a real job. At this point I'm like, fuck. And then we (The Wrong Address) started hanging out more and he was also going through the same thing. You wanna talk about it?


The Wrong Address: Same type of shit you know what I mean.
GDP: The opposite actually. You had some sick fucking job and making a ton of money.
The Wrong Address: But I hated it, and the girl shit too.
 GDP: Yeah we won't go into it. Sorry girls, I love ya. But you understand, and girls go through guy shit.  It's just like I'm a guy, I don't experience the world as a woman. I'm a feminist at heart.

TTAD: What Europe tour did you drop off of?
GDP: I was gonna go out there with my friends AOI and Mr. DNA. They threw me like $1,000 on my ticket and I was gonna cover the other half. It was also kinda cause like the money was seeming like I was gonna come out of pocket. They ended up killing it and it was a great tour, so I was like fuck whoops. But I was just going through so much shit, dude, I was just like not showing up for shows. There was a bunch of shows I was supposed to play on Useless Eaters and I literally just didn't feel like calling them. I was just like in bed. Not some faggot like I'm so depressed artist thing. It was just like I don't care, but I got off that.

TTAD: When you were depressed and not gonna make music anymore, what did you want from your life instead?
GDP: Some finical stability, cause I was traveling around, and at that point I was kinda staying at my parents house. I was living with a girl for free, not that that was why I was with her, but I fucked that right up because I just broke up with her. And then I was like bouncing around, staying with friends. I almost moved to Oakland with my bud Jake. I did a Cali run and ate an edible and just lost it and I stopped smoking weed for almost a year and a half. I just wanted some sort of stability. I loved nothing in my life. Like my music shit that was suppose to hold me down, it was like I don't have a booking agent everyone that is reaching out to me doesn't understand what the fuck to do with me. Like they're offering me tours that suck, my friends are like "Why don't you just do it?" Cause I work too hard to go on some shit tour where I don't fit in the lineup. I don't wanna do that bull shit. If it's not putting my best foot forward career-wise and finically, it's like my integrity is worth more than that. But it's gonna be a real fun year for me I promise.

TTAD: What's the rest of the year got going on for you? Or beyond that if you know?
GDP: I'm launching a record label called Smokers Cough. (www.SmokersCough.net) It's gonna be myself, The Wrong Address, Shape, The Man From Somewhere Else, AOI, DOS4GW, #$, Schlang, the Slangcorp camp kinda redistributed/repurposed and a bunch of other people you haven't heard of before. Maybe you have but didn't realize we were friends. I'm also working with some other labels. I've just been given a really nice plateau to get me and my friends music out and that's what I'm doing this year. And play a bunch of shows. I just release a record with The Wrong Address called Holla,  I'm releasing an ep with Space Jesus in February under the group name #$ (Hash Money), then I'm doing a solo record called Permanent Vocation. Smokerscaough.net, that's what I'm doing this year. Go there and you'll find out all about it.

GDP

https://www.facebook.com/g6d6p6
http://g6d6p6.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/g6d6p6
http://smokerscough.net/
@g6d6p6


interview by Cody Jones/Stillborn Identity

https://www.facebook.com/stillcody
stillbornidentity.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/stillborn-identity
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stillborn-Identity/154438521280723
https://www.youtube.com/user/stillcodentity
@CodyJonesSTLBRN

No comments:

Post a Comment