Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Back to the Blog

Back to the Blog

     Two and a half years since the last blog post and I’m bringing it back. I’ve been up, down, in, out, and every which way but loose. I’ve been a zine, podcast, and website but I’m brining it back to the good ol’ blogspot where it all started in 2011.
     In the early 2010’s I was more often than not between apartments, between cities, between girlfriends, and/or between jobs . Somehow that made me feel like my life was worth documenting. I was probably reading too much Al Burian at the time, adapting to the under-motivated lifestyle Burian wrote about while bouncing between punk shows, temporary jobs, and failing relationships in various cities. During the early days of The Throw Away Days blog the only consistent things in my life were skateboarding, rap shows, and the steady stream of new people I met and experiences I had thanks to the two aforementioned.
     I ended up planting my flag in Pittsburgh for years. I hosted every small scale indie rap show I could convince to tour through and skated (aka drank beer) with every skateboarder irresponsible enough to go to Lava Lounge/Dee’s Cafe/Rugger’s Pub/Remedy/Belvedere’s Ultra Dive/Rock Room literally any night of the week with me. But after time my roots turned more into an anchor. Instead of feeling like I was seeded and sprouting in the area I felt more like my roots were growing backwards and the gravity of the city was bringing me down head first any chance it got. My career got old, my girlfriend dumped me, my dog died, my shows became stagnant, my skateboarding plateaued, my lease ended… my life began to suck.
     Until eventually I find myself where I am now. Philadelphia. In a new city eager to get my feet wet in the rap scene, digging to find new skate spots where I can do the same old tricks, having no luck finding decent paying jobs, having too much luck on Tinder, and writing about my under-whelming experiences in an over-analyzed sort of way.
     This blog is to help me more than it is to help the reader or my friends who I convince to be my muse. The victims of my interviews may look at our discussions as some free press for their new album/tour/product/etc, but for me it’s my way of getting my friends to give me some free advice on what to do or not to do, a free therapy lesson, a good laugh at their experience, or whatever combination of literally anything in the world. All the while publicly documenting it so it’s easily accessible for me to look back on years down the line.
    So a preemptive shout out to all my future subjects who I will try to dig up embarrassing stories of and turn to gold because here at The Throw Away Days one mans trash is another mans treasure. Thanks for allowing yourselves to become vulnerable with me.


     -Cody

original art by Jayne Allison. Let you inner stalker out and follow her on IG. @jayneyouignorantslut
while you're at it follow The Throw Away Days w/ your spam account on IG. @ttadpress

No comments:

Post a Comment