Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Proseed - Quintessential

Proseed played a show a few nights ago at The Shadow Lounge and I totally missed it because I'm a scrub and decided to stay home and play with my dog instead. Luckily a there is a footage of the show online so anything I missed in person I get to catch up with online and talk about the show like I was actually there. Right? Or is the internet only used for watching monkey piss on themselves and women masturbate... Either way here is some footage of Proseed killing it with DJ Blacklisted(of Fortified PhonetX)
It's awesome to see Proseed getting such a warm introduction by one of Pittsburgh's most reputable emcees, Real Deal. Proseed has been killing it for years and deserves every bit of respect he gets and much more. He's one of the few emcees I've seen in Pittsburgh whose draw transcends one genre of hip hop. He'll rip every show he's put on weather the audience be backpackers, thugs, punks, deaf dogs, hipster hop heads, drunk yinzers, nerd rappers, crabby pregnant women, or anything and anyone you put in front of his stage. It's inspiring to see great his great lyrical ability will go above and beyond his standard Solid Ground Entertainment(SGE) realm that he's been dominating ever since I saw him open for Louis Logic and Z Man in 2005/2006.

In spite of missing his show the other night I decided to listen to all I have of his discography today while miserably wrenching on withered old Mustangs at my dads auto body shop. And in doing so I came to find out(again) that his even his 2007 first full length, Quintessential, is so much better than what people are doing 5 years later, although he considers it to be "a little premature."
When this came out I use to go to shows on a straight solo mission, dead sober, sitting at the bar by myself, ordering water, nervously looking around and pretending to check my cell phone that didn't have texting... it was awkward. I had tried to work up the courage to ask Derek for a copy of his cd, with $10 in my hand to make the transaction as fast and painless as possible, but that water on the rocks I was sipping didn't give my any extra confidence. So needless to say when I saw the release a few weeks later at The Record Exchange for a mere $10.70 I did not hesitate to pay the extra 70 cents not to have to talk to an artist that I respected. It doesn't make sense I know, but what can I say, I have horrible social skills, which is probably why I blog.

Years later when I watching one of his sets at The Smiling Moose he grabbed a few long lasting copies of Quintessential and set them on the floor in front of the stage and said that anyone who wanted one could have one. After that he looked at me, knowing I had bought it years prior and apologized that I had to pay full price for it. Then he added some dry humored comment like, "no refunds," and went on with his set. I didn't mind paying money to support artists that I respect, talking to them(while sober) is the tough part.

try it for free
then when you like it buy a physical copy here or digital here
facebook
website

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I noticed that the digital copy of Quintessential has only 7 tracks. Do you have a new link so I can listen to the album in its entirety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime last year I let the cat out the bag, so to speak. Here you go, and thanks for listening! https://proseed.bandcamp.com/album/quintessential

      Delete
  2. I asked Proseed and he said he isn't into that album all that much and the only way you can hear the rest of the tracks is the buy a hard copy or the digital copy. He's got some new stuff coming out that I'm sure will be available in its entirety for streaming!

    ReplyDelete