Wednesday, January 2, 2013

John Bachman aka Jumbled of Napalm Def interview about Our Only Escape Vol. 2




John Bachman aka Jumbled of Napalm Def, is the brains, bank, and balls behind Our Only Escape. Here he takes a minute to fill you in on some of the history of his compilation.




TheThrowAwayDays.) What exactly is "Our Only Escape" and how did it come to be?
John Bachman) Our only escape is the name of the 2 compilations I have put together. The idea  was inspired by the “Underground Hip Hop Essentials” comps from Cory of Sass Bologna. I thought they were really great  and very DIY. He said he was not releasing anymore so I decided I would try to put something out. The first one was cassette only, and consisted of friends, and some other acts I found on Myspace that I really liked. I asked a lot of people, and only a few followed through. It features one of the first real Napalm Def songs, where both me and salk spit on the same track. There were many Baltimore acts (Height, AK Slaughter, PT Burnem) as well as some acts from other parts of the country (Shed dwellaz from California, Unified Theory from the northwest, Iz-Real from Atlanta). The acts got most of the copies. I’ve also sold some at shows and had them in distros. It is pretty much out of print by now, but I put it up on my bandcamp page for free. The name comes from one of my first songs, in which I use the line “beat tapes, our only escape, wish I could rhyme to every beat that I make.”

T-TAD) How has it progressed since the last release?
JB) I have put out 7 other releases on my label (Harford and Reckord) and started asking people if they would be interested in participating. This line-up is much more diverse and widespread. It started out as a message chain on facebook and some emails. A few acts reached out to me after hearing the first comp, so I tried to follow up with them.
A few acts on the comp I saw at local shows and really liked their stuff, like Taylo and Dilligence. I wanted to include local Baltimore acts I am into so I talked to Collectible Humans, Something compleX, Disturbed Individuals, and Detale. I came across White Mic, Michael Riggs and Lurch Lightning online and asked them to be on the release.
Since there were so many more people involved, I decided to get pro-printed cdrs, and hand make the covers (to save some money). Since the first comp had stenciled covers, I tried to keep that theme by stenciling the OOE on the covers of Volume 2. When I layed out and sequenced the tracks, it was almost too much to fit on one CD.

T-TAD) Describe your relationship with some of the artists featured on this?
JB) I could start with salk and Dwell. Salk is in Napalm Def with me, and we played in many bands together over the years. Dwell is an old friend and mentor, that records most of our vocals and helps produce our stuff. I have played a bunch of shows with Something compleX and we are trying to work together to build bridges between local acts. Jack Wilson was living in Baltimore at the time, so we hung out a few times, he gave me a track for the comp and did a verse on my last album. I’ve booked and played a few shows with JE double F, AK Slaughter and Stillborn Identity. It’s funny to think that I’ve never met some of these people, but am still a big fan of their music.

T-TAD) There are some “bigger” names on this compilation, what would you do if you saw one of your students wearing one of the featured artists shirts? Would you say anything/try to sell them a cd for their lunch money?
JB) That’s a weird line. I just took a job at a new school [I teach Technology Education at a school in Baltimore City] and they only talk about Meek Mill and 2Chainz. A few years ago at my old school, I got excited when I found out one kid in the whole school was into Odd Future before they blew up. Since more stuff is online/on youtube, kids are finding out more about people like Jay Electronica and Childish Gambino, instead of only listening to what’s on the radio. To answer your question, I would probably just give them a copy of the comp!

T-TAD) Do any of your student, past or present, know about Napalm Def?
JB) I keep my facebook profile private, but after students graduate, some will ask teachers to be their “friend.” I think I only follow 2-3, but since I promote a lot on there, a couple realized that I was Jumbled. I had one of their little brothers in class last year and he knew, but was cool about it.
The funniest thing I found while looking on Tumblr was one former student posting a song I made about Snowballs (a Baltimore sno-cone sort of treat) and it said something like “oh my god, I just found out my old shop teacher raps” and someone else responded “you mean the one that looks like the guy from Fall Out boy?”
I have been doing this for only about 7 years, but feel like I’ve come a long way. It started as just loops in my bedroom, and making a demo (limited to 3 copies.) I settled on the name of Napalm Def, and asked my friend Clint to start rapping (which I don’t think ever occurred to him, but we shared a love of grindcore and hip hop, so it fit.) We turned to Dwell to help record and point us in the right direction, as he was winding down his short career as an mc. This past year was my best and most productive, I put out an album and a comp, started doing out of town shows, a ton of local shows including the 2 biggest shows I’ve ever played. I started performing and working with dj Franco, made my first video, scored a short film and web tv show, and have been sending out more beats to collaborate with more people.

T-TAD) Will there be an "Our Only Escape 3" if so, what are some of your plans for it? (artists, work, theme maybe?)
JB) No plans for one right now. I am working on production for salk’s solo album, and a Napalm Def full-length, that I hope to get pressed on Lp. Next up for the label is the reissue of Height’s album “Winterize the Game” which is my favorite album of his.
thanks
John Bachman aka Jumbled
mc and producer / Napalm Def // Baltimore, MD
http://jumbled.bandcamp.com
harfordandreckord.tumblr.com
napalmdef@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Napalm-Def-Jumbled-and-Salk/137860689584633



I wanted to include the track listing at the end of this interview but somehow it ended up looking like this. Whatever, you get the picture. Download it for free!
1.  



2.


3.



4.



5.



6.



7.



8.



9.



10.



11.



12.



13.



14.



15.



16.



17.



18.



19.



20.



21.
01:47



22.



23.



24.



25.

No comments:

Post a Comment