Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ordeal - Beat On, Beat Off Jesus


Ordeal – Beat On, Beat Off Jesus

Writing another review right now would be torture, both for me and whatever lost soul actually reads this crap. Yet I still have time to kill at work and artists that I want to plug on this dumb blog. So I’ll write a little about my experience with Ordeal, his music as well as him.

                It’s kind of hard to believe that I’ve only met Ordeal one time, but have known him for years and still stay in loose contact with him. But it was an interesting enough encounter to leave a strong impression on me. I met him when he toured through Pittsburgh on the ‘Never Ending Gun Show Tour’ with Kristoff Krane, Sadistik, and Bodi. The night before they played in Portland, ME, and that trek is at least a 10 hour drive. Not to mention the show that night was at an art gallery and started at 8pm and had to be over by 11, a fact that seemed to slip the tours mind until they were already late on their way to Pittsburgh.

                When the group arrived to the venue only 45 minutes late, they wasted no time in setting up and playing. Bodi went first, while Ordeal and the rest of the tour filled me in on their drive. It consisted of the usual things you do when you’re late, don’t pull over to eat, piss in bottles, etc. etc. Except when it was Ordeals time to perform he let the crowd know of one extra detail about the drive, that he had some acid (or mushrooms, I can’t remember) about halfway through the trip, and was still tripping.

                With that in mind, he still killed his set. I found it weird/hilarious/awesome that anyone would willing eat psychedelics when they’re around to stuck in a stinky, dirty, van with four other sober people for hours on end. The show was so long ago that’s about all I remember of his set, but whatever that was still enough to make me a fan of him.
               In 2004 when ‘Beat On, Beat Off Jesus’ came out I was 16 sneaking rap cds in my car listening to them alone because I was worried my band mates would make fun of me for listening to this stuff. Meanwhile Ordeal was making music that internet hip hop geeks (like me I guess) are still gawking about. The fact that the cd starts off with a skit dates it as old right there.  Rap skits have pretty much been extinct since the iPod had become the standard method for listening to music.

                Abbadon is featured on this release a lot, and I think he is responsible for producing almost the entire album. But good luck to finding any sort of internet presence from him.  According to Ordeal he has none. Apparently he’s been recording music for somewhere around 10 years and has never even bothered making a cd. He’ll record a song one week, save it on his computer, and if he loses it then the song is lost forever. Ordeal says if you ever want to hear anything Abbadon has made more than likely you have to go through Ordeal to hear it. These two have been teaming up for years and you can still see Abbadon featured on some of Ordeals newer releases. Crude Perdition is my favorite one they collabed on together off this release.

                If you like gritty, unconventional, hip hop then check Ordeal out.
freeeeeeeeee downloaddddddd of Beat On, Beat Off Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment